Tuesday night live and not soon enough.
Ryan says “compelling auditions” … huh? Where?
A new set! Yawn…who cares at home, seriously…
Thursday: 5 boys and 5 girls will remain (picked by you) and then each judge gets a wild card – total 13…
Finalist gets any song they want to sing and they can pick the camera to use…
Five of these 13 go through to the Top 10 … later on Wednesday I’ll give you my Top 5…
1. Reed Grimm – “Moves Like Jagger” by Maroon 5
– He just tries too hard with this lounge version of a good song and the drums are more than a little too much … where is Sheila E when we really need her.
Give him a D-plus … and the judges (who exactly are they kidding with all that good vibe, somewhere Simon is laughing outloud about now and I can only hear him using the word “indulgent”)…
2. Adam Brock – “Think” By Aretha Franklin
– Refers to himself at white chocolate … better than Grimm … we called his hometown “Little Washington” Pa. when I was a kid … never really understood that, cause it was real little Washington in my books … he can’t move around the stage at all … a poor man’s Danny Gokey…
Give him a C-plus … Tyler can’t even comment positively now he is so out of control … again all three loved him … Adam has a Steelers’ Terrible Towel in his back-pocket … another yawner…
3. Deandre Brackensick – “Reasons” by Earth Wind and Fire
From San Jose … falsetto voice, slows it way, way, way down … like no one I’ve ever seen on AI who goes this far and no one I want to see (or hear) again.
Give him a big fat F and C ya Deandre…JayLo is so positive she is outta control … Randy says he’s ready “to go commercial” now … What planet are they livin’ on tonight?
4. Colton Dixon – “Decode” by Paramore
This is the guy whose sis got cut … he can sing, or at least he did in the prelims … definitely the best so far … very good stage presence, deserves to be in the Top 10 … of course the judge sing his praises…
Give him a solid B…
5. Jeremy Rosado – “Gravity” by Sara Bareilles
Very, very, very poor song choice for Jeremy … he can sing a little bit … I emphasize a little bit … judges comments: Steven: “that was beautiful”; JayLo: “some people are blessed from God and you are one of those people”; Randy: “America meet Jeremy, I love you man”…”
Give him a semi-solid: C-minus
“I’m as confused as a baby in a topless bar” – Steven Tyler, circa 2012…
6. Aaron Marcellus – “Never Can Say Goodbye” by Jackson 5
He is from Atlanta…I’m thinkin’ this should be good…decent voice, but tryin’ a little too hard with the “showmanship” … for God’s sake Aaron just sing…best of the night so far…although I didn’t care for the scream at the end…Steven: “You raised the bar for yourself, you’ve got to beat this next time” … he finally said something meaningful…
Give Aaron a: B
7. Chase Likens “Storm Warning” by Hunter Hays
This season’s country boy from West Virginia…good song choice…the kid has potential in the C&W world…is he as good as Scotty? Might be…
Give him a B-minus…
8. Creighton Fraker – “True Colors” – by Cyndi Lauper
Grew up in South Dakota, move to NYC and became a street performer … figures he would sing this song … not a big fan of the song, but he does sing and he doesn’t waste time trying to perform …maybe one of the best pure singers of the night… but will the public approve?…Randy hit this one on the head: “Dude, you can sing…”
Give him a B…
9. Phillip Phillips – “In the Air Tonight” by Phil Collins
Love this song … trying a different spin on it and the beginning works not at all … although I do like his voice … now the big orchestra behind him drowns out his voice … do not like the arrangement at all…Randy actually said the reharmony wasn’t that geat…Then they give his dad a shout-out in the audience, not fair to the other guys…
Give him a C…
10. Eben Franckowitz – “Set Fire to the Rain” by Adele
Kid is 15 and he is trying to sing Adele… background of flames and rain is a little over the top … seems to be flat to me … judges are gushing … Why?
Give him another C…
11. Heejun Han – “Angels” by Robbie Williams
Says his mom loves to dance and sing but she is not good at all (he’s right) … he is somewhat OK, somewhat annoying …Trying to sing an Archie song but he is bland with it … They will praise him, but it’s not worthy … lousy at the end …judges panned the choice of songs he made
Give him a C-minus
12. Joshua Ledet – “You Pulled Me Through ” by Jennifer Hudson
This dude is from Louisana … Worst song coice of the night as far as I’m concerned … gospel singer of the night…
Give him a C
So here are the four in the running for the judges’ selection as No. 13: Johnny Keyser, Richie Law, Jermaine Jones or David Leathers Jr.
– Nigel Lythgoe tweeted, “We’ve cleared the studio so that we keep the surprise of who the judges are bringing back He has not been able to rehearse with the band yet.”
And here is the pick the judges made for that extra guy:
13. Jermaine Jones – “Dance With My Father” by Luther Vandross
Kinda anticlimactic entry…either he is huge or Ryan is tiny or a little bit of both … This guy was OK up to now, but now what is he going to do? … Not the worst of the night, but near the bottom of the pack…mom comes out for a hug…
Give him a C-minus
Wednesday night it’s the girls…